Driver’s License Renewal with Pending H-1B/H-4 Extension Case
If you are on H-1B or H-4 status and need to renew your Driver’s license or State ID while your extension is pending, we recommend you do the following:
- Visit the Office of Driver’s Services at the Ragland Building, 1900 W. 7th Street, 1st floor to submit your application. We do not recommend applying at any other license office in Little Rock.
- When you apply, you must have these documents with you:
- U.S. visa stamp (does not need to be unexpired)
- Most recent I-94 entry record
- I-797C receipt notice of your H-1B or H-4 extension
- If the representative you meet with tells you they cannot issue you a driver’s license that day, request the following:
- Ask for your SAVE Case Verification number, and write this down.
- Request that they “Initiate Additional Verification” in SAVE. This is a secondary step in which they will have to send a copy of your documents to the SAVE system to confirm your pending petition.
- Ask if the SAVE system says “pending petition”. If the SAVE system shows “pending petition” and the representative tells you that they can’t renew your DL, please go to the state employee help desk at the same floor or call them at 501-683-7059 asking for help.
- Check the status of your SAVE case online at https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck, using your SAVE Case Verification Number. This site will only tell you when SAVE has issued a final decision on your application. It will not tell you what that decision is. Once the SAVE Case Check search shows a black checkmark in “Case Status,” and says “Case Returned to Agency,” you must follow up with the license office where you applied to learn the final SAVE decision.
The SAVE Additional Verification can take up to 20 business days, so we recommend you apply for your license renewal at least 1 month prior to your current expiration. If you have any issues renewing your driver’s license by following these steps, please contact our office at AskImmigration@uams.edu.