How to apply for Workers’ Compensation

ALL employees on UAMS payroll are entitled to apply for workers’ compensation. If you have an on-the-job injury, you may be eligible for benefits, including medical care and income replacement, under workers’ compensation.

Public Employee Claims Division (PECD) of Arkansas Insurance Department, administers our program. Employees with work related injuries, who NEED medical treatment, must call
the Company Nurse Injury Hotline @ 1-855-339-1893. The injury hotline is accessible to employees, 24 hours / 7 days a week. This accessibility aids our employees in getting timely and appropriate medical treatment.

Employees and supervisors must follow these steps when work related injuries occur:

  • Employees MUST notify their supervisor immediately.
  • Employee or supervisor (when employee is unable to call) must call the Company Nurse Injury Hotline at 1-855-339-1893 ONLY WHEN medical treatment is needed.
  • An Injury Care Coordinator will gather information on the employee and injury details.
  • The Injury Care Coordinator will transfer the call to a Registered Nurse who will make care recommendations and/or triage the injured employee to the appropriate treatment facility.
  • An Injury Report will be sent to the designated treatment facility prior to the injured employee’s visit.
  • An Employee/Student Injury and Incident Report (I&I) MUST be completed for ALL injuries. This is accessible online at
  • If NO medical treatment is needed, completing an I&I is the only necessary step.
  • The Company Nurse Injury Hotline will send claim forms to OHR. The claim forms will be forwarded to the appropriate supervisor for signatures needed by the employee and their immediate supervisor. Signatures ARE required for billing purposes.
  • The supervisor must send the signed claim forms to or fax to 501- 686-8872.

HELIOS is our Pharmacy Provider: When an injured employee reports a workers’ compensation injury, for which he or she is going to receive medical treatment, some employees may need a prescription filled. Employees will receive a Temporary Prescription Form (TPF). This form will be provided to the injured employee, at one of our designated treatment facilities, referred to by the Company Nurse Injury Hotline. The injured employee can also contact OHR at 501-686-7083. All prescription requests are approved by our third party administrator, Public Employee Claims Division (PECD). In some cases, the injured employee may need additional prescriptions. Once the approval is received, a permanent prescription card will be mailed to the employee’s home address on file.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA): Workers’ Compensation and FMLA run concurrently (at the same time). Your employee may need to complete the healthcare provider form in cases when it is a ‘lost time’ situation. Please follow our current FMLA guidelines.

In instances of ‘lost time’ cases, contact OHR ASAP @ 501-686-7083. Or send an email to

Workers’ Compensation:  What an Employee needs to know!
Workers’ Compensation:  What a Supervisor needs to know!
Workers’ Compensation: Employee Checklist!
Worker’s Compensation: Flow Chart

Related Links:

UAMS Safety Department
Public Employees Claims Division
UAMS Workers’ Compensation policy
UAMS Family and Medical Leave Act policy
UAMS Leave of Absence without Pay
UAMS Accident/Injury Report Policy (11.4.01)
Worker’s Compensation Online Training