How to apply for Workers’ Compensation
ALL employees on UAMS payroll are entitled to apply for workers’ compensation. If you have an on-the-job injury, you may be eligible for benefits, including medical care and income replacement, under workers’ compensation.
Effective October 1, 2013, the Public Employee Claims Division (PECD) of the Arkansas Insurance Department, who administers our program, introduced a Telephonic Injury Reporting System for UAMS employees to file on-the-job injury claims. Employees with work related injuries who NEED medical treatment must call the Company Nurse Injury Hotline @ 1-855-339-1893. It is accessible 24 hours / 7 days a week. This new service will aid our employees in getting timely and appropriate medical treatment along with reducing the paperwork.
The process is very simple, employees and supervisors must follow these steps for work related injuries beginning October 1, 2013.
- Employees must notify their supervisor immediately.
- Call the Company Nurse Injury Hotline at 1-855-339-1893 WHEN medical treatment is needed.
- A nurse will gather information and make a care recommendation and advise the employee on the next step.
- An Injury Report will be sent to the designated treatment facility prior to the injured employee’s visit.
- ALL employees must complete the Employee/Student Injury and Incident Report (I&I). This is accessible online at http://www.uams.edu/campusop/depts/ohs/forms/accident.aspx
- If NO medical treatment is needed, completing the I&I is the only necessary step.
- The Company Nurse Injury Hotline will send the claim form to OHR. Additional information and signatures will be required by the employee and their supervisor. The Workers Compensation Specialist will contact the supervisor to complete this process.
- The supervisor must fax the forms to OHR at (501) 686-8872 or email to WorkersComp@uams.edu.
Prescription: As of November 2, 2015 we started using Helios to provide pharmacy prescription benefits to employees injured on the job. When an injured employee reports a new workers’ compensation injury for which he or she is going to receive medical treatment; some employees may need a prescription filled. These employees will need a Temporary Prescription Form. This form will be provided to the injured employee seeking medical treatment at one of our designated treatment facilities, referred by The Company Nurse. All prescription requests are approved through our third party administrator Public Employee Claims Division (PECD). In some cases the injured employee may need additional prescriptions; once approved, a permanent prescription card will be mailed to the employee’s home address.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA): Workers’ compensation and FMLA run concurrently (at the same time). Your employee may need to complete the healthcare provider form in cases when it is a ‘lost time’ situation. Please follow the current FMLA guidelines established at UAMS.
When your employee has a ‘lost time’ situation, please be sure to contact Connie Thorbs ASAP.
My on-the-job injury happened prior to October 1, 2013, what do I need to do?
DO NOT call the Company Nurse Hotline for on-the job injuries that happened prior to October 1, 2013. Follow the process outlined below.
- Immediately notify your supervisor.
- Complete Section A of the (Employee/Student Injury and Incident Report) I&I Form. This form is also available for you to complete online. Complete this form even if you did not receive any medical treatment.
- If you receive medical care, you MUST also complete the paper claim forms in order to have your medical bills considered for payment.
- Call OHR at 501-686-5650 with any questions or submit inquiries to WorkersComp@uams.edu.
WORKERS’ COMPENSATION HANDOUTS:
Workers’ Compensation: What an Employee needs to know!
Workers’ Compensation: What a Supervisor needs to know!
Workers’ Compensation: Employee Checklist!
Worker’s Compensation: Flow Chart
UAMS Safety Department
Public Employees Claims Division
UAMS Workers’ Compensation policy
UAMS Family and Medical Leave Act policy
UAMS Leave of Absence without Pay
UAMS Accident/Injury Report Policy (11.4.01)
Workers’ Compensation Online Training