Out of Country Request for J-1 Visitor

Any J-1 Visitor that will be traveling outside of the country for more than 30 days needs to be reported through the “Out of Country” option in SEVIS in order for their immigration record to remain Active during this time period.   For record-keeping and immigration reporting purposes, Immigration Services needs to be informed of this situation.

The “Out of Country” function allows for the immigration record to remain active and show that the scholar is still an active participant of the sponsor’s program but is actively pursuing the program activity outside of the U.S.

In addition to completing this form, the scholar will need to provide proof that he or she will maintain the required insurance coverage since the Department of State considers an Active record to indicate continued program participation.

Please complete this form within 3 weeks before the scholars intends to leave.

Out of Country Request for J-1 Visitor

  • Should be person who requested for J-1 Visitor to come to UAMS.
  • SEVIS Number will generally be located in the top right corner of the J-1 Visitor's immigration paperwork and begin with an "N".
  • Location where J-1 Visitor will continue to pursue the program of activity for which she or he was admitted to the USA.
  • The purpose of the Out of Country function in SEVIS is to allow program sponsors to record periods of collaborative activity conducted by an exchange visitor while outside the US. The activity should be consistent with the purpose of the exchange visitor's J-1 program. Please describe the J-1 exchange visitor's activity while out of country.