O-1 Nonimmigrant Visa for Individuals of Extraordinary Ability in Sciences, Education, Business or Athletics
As applicable to UAMS, the O-1 visa classification is for aliens of extraordinary ability in the sciences. This temporary, non-immigrant visa classification’s initial period of stay can not exceed three years with possible extensions of stay generally granted in yearly increments.
O-1’s are not processed in house by UAMS, although the Immigration Manager will work with the attorney chosen to complete the paperwork required by the Petitioner. The O-1 is a relatively subjective visa classification; substantial document preparation is required on the part of the beneficiary and petitioner.
- Can be granted for an initial period of up to three (3) years;
- Can be extended indefinitely in one-year increments;
- There is no limit on number of extensions you can get, as long as you continue to have a sponsoring employer;
- Are “employer-specific”, which allows you to work only for your sponsoring employer;
- Spouses and children of O-1 holders will be classified as O-3 “dependents”;
- Holders of O-3 status are not entitled to work in the United States.
O-1 Visa Fact Sheet (courtesy of Sostrin Immigration Lawyers, LLP):