TN Eligibility

You may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status, if:

  • You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
  • Your profession qualifies under the regulations;
  • The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
  • You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (but not self-employment – see documentation required below); and
  • You have the qualifications to practice in the profession in question.

At UAMS, those professions available for TN classification are: Statistician, Research Assistant, Scientific Technician/Technologist, Social Worker, Technical Publications Writer, Dietitian, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Nutritionist, Occupational Therapist, Pharmacist, Physician (teaching and or research only), Physical Therapist, and Scientist.

View more information regarding TN Visas for Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Workers.

In order to qualify for this classification, the individual must possess the credentials to support their qualification for the position.

For a complete list of professions with minimum education requirements and alternative credentials, see the NAFTA webpage, Appendix 1603.D.1 With some exceptions, each profession requires a baccalaureate degree as an entry-level requirement. If a baccalaureate is required, experience cannot be substituted for that degree. In some professions, an alternative criteria to a bachelor’s degree is listed. For some professions, experience is required in addition to the degree.

Canadians may apply at the border or file the petition with USCIS.   Mexicans must apply at the consulate.

Dependents of TN Nonimmigrants

Any accompanying or “following to join” spouse and children under the age of 21 may be eligible for TD nonimmigrant status.  Spouses and children are:

  • Not permitted to work while in the United States, but they are permitted to study.
  • Granted TD status for no longer than the period of time granted to the principal TN nonimmigrant.