UAMS.EDU

SmartCare

    Useful Links

UAMS offers a way for our employees and their family members to have substantial savings in health care. Employees who are insured by the University of Arkansas Health Plan, which is administered by UMR, have the opportunity to take advantage of SmartCare.

The deductible under the SmartCare program is reduced from $750 to $250, a savings of $500.  The out-of-pocket maximum is reduced from $2,000 to $1,000, a savings of $1,000!  Co-pays for primary and specialty care are also reduced.

One of the best things about SmartCare is that you don’t have to sign up for it. If you come to UAMS for your care and are enrolled in our health plan, you will automatically pay less out of pocket for your healthcare. To better understand your health plan benefits and how they are improved under SmartCare, view this presentation.

You can take advantage of the SmartCare benefits by using UAMS physicians, clinics and facilities. To maximize your UAMS SmartCare benefits you should select a UAMS primary care physician (PCP). You can use our Find a Doctor search to find the right PCP for you (only physicians at UAMS clinics and AHECs are under SmartCare). Even if you choose not to have a UAMS primary care physician, SmartCare benefits also include UAMS specialists.

UAMS employees can schedule appointments via email at smartcare@uams.edu. You also have priority access to appointments through a dedicated appointment line at 501-686-8749.

You maintain the choice of where you want to go for your medical care, but now there’s an extra incentive for coming to UAMS.

Visit the SmartCare Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.

To Make an Appointment

Email smartcare@uams.edu or call 501-686-8749.

For Specific Questions or Concerns

Call 501-686-8749 or email smartcarequestions@uams.edu.

What Do These Mean?

Primary Care Physician is a physician who directly provides or coordinates a range of health care services for a patient. Primary care specialties are family medicine, internal medicine and geriatrics.

Co-pay is $10 for a visit with a UAMS primary care physician, eye exam in the Jones Eye Institute or UAMS outpatient mental health visit. For UAMS specialists, this is $30 per visit (starting January 2014). This is the fixed amount you pay for a covered health care service, usually when you receive the service.

Deductible is $250 under SmartCare.   Services provided outside your doctor’s office are generally subject to you paying the annual deductible before the health insurance plan pays.   Once you satisfy your deductible, then you pay Co-insurance.

Co-insurance is 20%.  When a UAMS medical service, such as a hospital admission, is subject to coinsurance, that means once you satisfy your deductible, you pay 20% of the bill.   This is your share of the costs of a covered health care service.  Insurance picks up the other 80%.   

Out-of-pocket maximum is $1,000 under SmartCare.   That means once you pay $1,000 out of your pocket in a calendar year towards your office visit co-pays, deductible and co-insurance, you pay ZERO the rest of the year.   Prescription drug copays and costs are not included in this maximum.