The J-1 is an exchange visitor classification designed for the purpose of exchanging ideas, knowledge and culture between the U.S. and other countries. The intent of this classification is for individuals to enter the U.S. for a specific and limited period of time, attain knowledge, hone skills and return to their home country to share the knowledge and experience gained in the U.S. UAMS is currently approved to host Short-Term Scholar and Research Scholar category exchange visitors.
J-1 Short-Term Scholar Category
A professor, research scholar, or person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at research institutions, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited educational institutions, or similar type of institutions. The program duration is up to only 6 months.
- Not subject to 12 or 24 month bar that would prevent a future visit under the Research Scholar/Professor category
- May be possible to return again in the J-1 Short Term Scholar visa category, providing there is a substantial break between visits, and that each visit has a new and unique objective.
- Limited to a maximum time of 6 months with no options of extension, transfers or change of visa inside the U.S.
J-1 Research Scholar Category
A research scholar is an individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project. The research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor. The program duration is up to 5 years.
- May extend the program, within maximum duration, providing normal sponsorship terms remain (e.g. funding)
- Upon completion of program may not be able to return to the U.S. to participate in another Research Scholar program for 24 months.
Program suitability requirement
All sponsors, are required to determine 1) the suitability of their program for prospective participants; and 2) that participants have sufficient proficiency in the English language to participate in their programs.
Minimum funding requirement
A minimum of $31,200 a year ($2,600/month) is required to support a single visiting scholar at UAMS; an additional $4,800 a year is required for each accompanying dependent ($400/month). In order to generate the required visa documents, UAMS is required to obtain documentation proving that the visitor has adequate financial resources to provide for estimated expenses (and the expenses of dependents) for the full duration of the program. If the J-1 Exchange Visitor will be paid by UAMS, the sponsoring department needs to do the hiring process for the new J-1 employee. If the J-1 Exchange Visitor will not be paid by UAMS, they need to provide one or two of the following financial supporting documents in English.
- Private funds: J-1 Exchange Visitor’s or family member’s most recent bank balance statement, meeting the requirements described above. If it’s family member’s bank balance statement, an additional fanatical support letter with family member’s signature is needed.
- Support from government, organization, employer or sponsor: A detailed letter from the sponsor indicating the exact amount being provided in U.S. dollars. This letter must be on official letterhead and include the dates of sponsorship.
Please note: Exchange visitors may only use private funds for up to 6 months of their stay.